I didn't read much, this year, in the way of books. In fact, all I read is the first half of Lolita; and I absolutely loved it, but even so I haven't yet gotten around to reading the second half.
That's not to say that I didn't read at all, though; the only way to tolerate a commute on Muni is to have a New Yorker on hand, after all, and besides that, I read a number of great things--new and old--this year. Here are a few. (Where possible, links go to my posts, with notes, on each of the articles.)
- Michael Bywater's "My Dad had the best death"
- Letters from Norman Mailer, from the New Yorker
- David Ramsey's "I Will Forever Remain Faithful" (the best thing I read all year)
- A quote from an old (1996) interview with David Foster Wallace
- Robert Forster, on Grant McLennan and The Evangelist
- "Chef on the Edge", the profile of David Chang in the New Yorker (now online here!)
- James Surowiecki's New Yorker blog, probably my favorite blog of the entire year
- Britta Persson, "Kill Hollywood Me" (watch/listen)
- Dirty Projectors, "Hyperballad" (listen)
- Erykah Badu, "The Healer" (listen)
- Estelle, "American Boy ft. Kanye West" (listen)
- Janelle Monae, "Many Moons" (watch/listen)
- Lil Wayne, "Tie My Hands ft. Robin Thicke" (listen)
- Lloyd, "Girls Around the World ft. Lil Wayne" (watch/listen)
- Mariah Carey, "Touch My Body" (watch/listen)
- Q-Tip, "Gettin' Up" (watch/listen)
- Solange, "Sandcastle Disco" (watch/listen)
Most popular search terms:
A couple of years ago, in my 2005 year-end wrapup, I listed a couple of the most popular search terms leading people to my blog: "cat glover", "criss angel", "selena and chris", &c. These are the things that make me proud, people!
And so here are a couple of the search terms that led people to this blog in 2008--they're a combination of terms that would've led people here in 2005, 2006, and 2007, as well as for new stuff posted in 2008.
- "biggest dog in the world" (see also: "biggest dog", "the biggest dog", "the biggest dog in the world", &c.)
- "vin diesel fur coat" (one of my favorites!)
- "dave longstreth" (#1!)
- "what does ordinary firmness mean"
- "is clinton kelly gay" (still on the list, 3 years later!)
- "'the office special' song at the end"
And that's that!